What is Daughters and Dads?
Daughters and Dads Active and Empowered is an award-winning, community-based program, which engages fathers in positive lifestyle role modelling and effective parenting strategies to improve the physical activity behaviours, physical confidence, sport skills and social-emotional wellbeing of their daughters. Importantly, Daughters and Dads Active and Empowered also targets girls to improve the fitness and physical activity levels, and parenting skills of their fathers.
During the program, dads learn evidence-based parenting skills and strategies to emotionally connect to improve their daughters’ physical and mental health. Daughters and Dads Active and Empowered also teaches fathers how to improve their daughters sport skills by engaging in fun co-physical activities experienced in a warm and positive environment.
Daughters are given opportunities to practise key social-emotional skills including self-control, persistence, critical thinking, resilience and self-reliance and spend quality time with their dads working together in fun practical sessions involving sport skills (eg kicking, catching, throwing), rough and tumble play and health-related fitness games.
What is the Structure?
A 9 week, 90 minute program.
Dads-only' workshop (2-hours)
- Fathers attend a 'Dads-Only' workshop at the start of the program which shares proven parenting strategies to improve their daughters’ social-emotional well-being, sports skills and physical activity levels. Fathers also learn about the unique and powerful influence dads have on their daughter and parenting strategies to encourage gender equity and empower daughters against the culture of gender prejudice that exists in many aspects of their lives, particularly regarding physical activity.
Daughters and Dads Sessions (90-minutes)
- Daughters and dads spend quality time together participating in eight weekly fun, engaging and educational physical activity and sport skill sessions.
- Theme of the week
Each week has a different theme, introduced in a 30-minute education session.
- These sessions focus on developing key social and emotional skills for girls including self-control, persistence, critical thinking, resilience, and self-reliance. Daughters also learn how to design physical activity sessions at home and become ‘personal trainers’ to motivate their dad to stay active.
- Practical activities
Each session also has a 60-minute practical component focusing on 3 key areas - Rough and Tumble Play, Sport Skills and Fitness. Each of these 3 areas have a strong evidence base for optimising the physical and mental health of girls, but dads also benefit!
The Y Bankstown: 5 May – 30 June 2022, Thursdays from 5.45pm – 7.15pm. Register here
- PCYC Hornsby: 4 May – 29 June 2022, Wednesdays from 6pm – 7:30pm. Register here
- Le Ray Gymnastic Balmain: 27 April - 22 June 2022, Wednesdays from 5:15pm - 6.45pm. Register here
- Spaghetti Circus Mullumbimby: 28 April - 23 June 2022, Thursdays from 5pm – 6:30pm. Register here